Saturday, March 23, 2013

Our Family's Vision Board

If I recall correctly, in college, a professor once told us the secret to realizing our goals and dreams. This was long before the bestseller book "The Secret" came out. He said you have to envision yourself attaining them, literally grasping them in your hands, seeing yourself accomplishing your goal, and living in it. He even asked us to list 100 things we want to achieve before we die. In couple of years before you know it, you would have accomplished half of that list.

Unfortunately, I cannot find that list anymore. But you know what, I still recall some of the items there and to tell you the truth, I did accomplish a lot from that list. So I decided to try out something more during that time. "Envisioning" was the word that stuck to me. So I created a "Dream Chart". It was a 1/4th illustration board wherein I placed post-its or pictures of anything I wanted to achieve like:

  1. Have a boyfriend (I placed a picture of Daddy A lang naman. Oo TL ako, crush ko sya sobra noon pa)
  2. Pass the CPA board exams (sana pala nilagay ko specifically top the CPA board exams hehe!)
  3. Buy a house (I posted a picture of the little bungalow a few blocks across our street)
  4. Ride an airplane and travel locally or abroad (yes hanggang college hindi parin ako nakasakay ng airplane)
  5. Work in a Big Four auditing firm, I also placed there my promotion dates.
  6. Help my family with their business
  7. Buy a car (I did not specify any car at that time so ok lang kahit 2nd hand or luma)
Well a couple of years later I did accomplish all of those! 
  1. Hindi ko lang naging first boyfriend si Daddy A, he is my last and now my dear hubby and father of my children. 
  2. I'm now a CPA working in a Big Four auditing firm and rose to be a manager.
  3. Start palang ng career ko sa firm noon nakasakay na ako kagad ng airplane to Davao, and the firm has brought me to other places around the world. 
  4. I was also able to buy a second hand delivery van for my mom's interior design business. 
  5. I was able to buy my first car, a 1987 Lancer just during my first year of working. Bulok-bulok sya noon (pero umaandar). But napa restore ko sya now and naisama pa sa 2011 Manila International Auto Show!
  6. And finally the house, I was able to buy that little bungalow in 2008. Well nagloan ako of course and with some help from my parents for the downpayment. But just last year, we made a huge pre-payment. And it is now my family's love nest and humble abode.
Now that I have my own family, I decided to continue with the dream chart, but now we call it "Our Family's Vision Board". Madami narin ang natupad dyan like:
  1. Babies (we now have R and JD)
  2. Innova (I specifically placed a picture of a brand new Toyota Innova which I saw in a raffle coupon. Hindi man kami nanalo sa raffle, through hardwork I was able to get a car plan from our firm.)
  3. Family trip abroad (Hong Kong)
This quote really stuck on me and I have placed it in my dream chart/vision board eversince. I found it in a card from my dear late aunt Linda which she gave me on my graduation day:
“To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.” 
- Anatole France

Here's a picture of our current vision board now:

So create one for yourself and place it in an area you see everyday. We have ours in our computer desk in our room. Before you leave the house, look at it and envision yourselves living all those dreams.

And I truly believe, through prayers and hard work, we will achieve all of those.

6 comments:

  1. ay like this idea, pa copy ha...i know where to place our family vision board...sa ref namin. :) I can envision the vision board's outcome already....i let u know of the outcome...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks RAnne for dropping by! Please do let me know ha. I pray you also achieve your dreams =)

      Delete
  2. Hi Lei. This is such an inspiring post. I have been reworking my goals and dreams and very timely yung suggestion mo to create a vision board. On another note, I like the simplicity and positivity of your blog. Very engaging din, the way you tell your stories. Yes, madami na ako nabasang entries, now lang naglakas loob mag comment:)

    - Rem

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Rem! I'm glad you liked my blog entries. Praying you'll also achieve you goals and dreams.

      Delete
  3. Great article. It looked fascinating and I chose to investigate each substance and I read yours. My compliment about this blog is exceptionally positive I visit this blog first time and inspire by this good stuff work. Incredible post keeps up posting such great information. If you like to travel then you can use munnar call taxi for a trust worthy travel.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...