Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Baby's Layette

Last Sunday was another malling day. I couldn't help myself from buying baby stuff since I just found out we're having a boy. And who could resist the 3-day sale at SM! But I had to restrain myself since I still kept the neutral newborn clothes of R. So I just bought a couple of onesies, booties, bibs (since most of R's bibs were pink), a receiving blanket and going home outfit for my baby boy.


With my pregnancy with R, when we immediately found out we were having a girl, I was so excited to go shopping. Good thing someone gave us a Php5,000 gift card from SM for our wedding gift. So splurge I did. Para akong nakawala sa koral sa SM specially with all those cute, frilly, pink and bedazzled stuff for baby girls. I specially went crazy with the little booties/socks that looked like shoes.

Being a first time mom then and with so little will power for shopping restraint, I just gave in. After all I'm having a girl, a little doll of my own. So here was my loot:


But if we didn't have that gift card, I would've probably been more practical and wise. So what really are the essentials for baby's layette (first set of clothing)? I tried to compile a barely basics list based on my experience with R:
  1. Sleeveless tie-side shirts (8-12 pieces) - this is for day-time wear which may need constant change due to spit-ups or perspiration. I actually prefer the button down shirts for ease, but realized tie-sides were safer, specially if buttons weren't sewn properly, there's a risk of ingestion/choking.
  2. Short sleeved tie-side shirts (6 pieces) - this is for cooler days or at night time.
  3. Long sleeved tie-side shirts (3 pieces) - this is for really cold nights.
  4. Pajama pants (6 pieces) 
  5. Mittens (8-12 sets) - I used this for the first two months, after that I let her explore her fingers. Just make sure nails are filed/safely trimmed.
  6. Booties (6-8 pieces) 
  7. Bonnets (4 pieces) - for cold nights and for when going out
  8. Bibs (6 pieces) - for spit-ups and for when baby starts solids
  9. Towelettes (6 pieces) - for wiping sweat and for bathing
  10. Cloth diapers (12-24 pieces) - depends on whether you would use cloth or disposable. We used disposable diapers so we used these cloth diapers (birds-eye or gauze) as burp-pads.
  11. Receiving blankets (2-3 pieces) - for bringing baby home from the hospital and for going out of the house.
  12. Bath towels (3 pieces)
  13. Cute onesies (2-3 pieces) - babies are discouraged to be brought out of the house during the first few weeks/months because they may catch viruses. But for short trips like check-ups and a visit to grandparents, they may need cute outfits.
It's best to buy in white, not only for the practical reason that they are neutral and can be used for whatever gender, but with white you can easily spot stains, hair, insects and other stuff that may cause harm to baby.

Watch out for another post on essential baby gear.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...