Sunday, March 24, 2013

Happy 61st Birthday Papa!

Papa and Mama were both born in the year of the dragon. Last year, I really had fun preparing for both their surprise 60th birthdays (I will post these in other entries).

A lot would say dragon babies are swerte. Kaya nga last year andaming naghabol gumawa ng dragon baby. I myself would like to think it's more than luck, they're made of something else. Well based lang naman yan sa experience ko of having both parents that were born in that year. They are tender hearted yet strong in mind and character. They also emerged as survivors eventhough faced with the hardest of trials.

Since it's Papa's birthday today, I'd like to honor him first by sharing things about him. These are traits that inspired me and molded me into the person I am now.


  1. It was with Papa that I learned the value of parent and child bonding. Yung simpleng samahan lang sya pagmay errand, he already calls that bonding. He would just ask us to accompany him to the bank or store, and he'd say "tara bonding tayo", then we'll go for meryenda afterwards. Isang favorite ko ung pagpunta namin sa Joe Kuan after he picks me up from school. I loved reading the Pupung comic strips sa balot nila ng siopao kasi.
  2. Papa taught me the true meaning of serving the Lord. Papa was either head of the prison ministry, family ministry, or whatever projects in our Church. When I was in my teens, I had the privilege of tagging along his various endeavors. We got to visit the women inmates in Camp Karingal. I also had a chance to see him visit the sick and give Holy Communion to them. He also guides the parents of the Church's scholars, that encouraged me to tutor the children scholars during Saturdays back when I was in college. Our house was also literally a home for the homeless or a diner for the hungry, eventhough we ourselves were not that well-off and you would say "gipit" at times.
  3. Papa also showed us the true meaning of sibling love. One time he was critically ill because of food poisoning that he almost died. He managed to utter the words "Lord not yet, my brothers and sisters still need me". He would give anything for his brothers and sisters. He showed how much he loved my dear aunt and cared for her until her dying days. Even another uncle who was, well, the black sheep of the family was never spared of my father's care and support until that uncle died just last year.
  4. Papa is a survivor, many times in the past his life was in peril. The most notable was his first cancer diagnosis in 2009, which is now back after almost four years. But everyday he shows how he struggles to fight this dreaded disease. 
  5. Lastly, because of Papa, I learned to rely on myself. There will really be times when I would have no one to turn to and I just have to do it myself. Papa taught me how to drive stick shift. I also learned how to tread/swim in deep waters because of him. Being the handyman that he is, we never have to call for a carpenter, plumber or electrician. 
Before, birthdays to me were something to be excited about, basically a cause for celebration. But now they mean so much more. I call them another miracle, another chance, another reason to live life fully. To you Papa, who have shown me the true meaning of life, Happy 61st Birthday! I believe in God that there will be many more we'll share. I love you. Thank you Lord for this day.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...