Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Birthday realizations

This shows I really had a busy birthday. I was supposed to publish this draft in October but never had the time.

Basically, I just want to write an inspirational and thanksgiving post. It's been another year, another blessing, another opportunity to make the most of this life that God gave me. Like I always say, I will strive to exude positivity in this blog despite the hardships and heartaches that come my way. Also, these are things I'd probably say to my seven year old, thirteen year old, and 18 year old, self.

So as my age officially leaves the calendar, here are my realizations:

1) I can bear pain – When I was young, I used to cry/cringe at injections or minor scratches/wounds. I'd also bawl out of impatience or when I can't do a task/project perfectly (may pagka OC kasi ko nung bata ako, well sometimes up to now). As I grew old and matured, my threshhold for pain pala increased (whether physical or emotional). I never imagined I would be able to endure the pain of childbirth, death of a loved one, as well as heartbreaks and heartaches. I really just had to go through it to get through it.

2) I am beautiful – I don't want this to sound like an Olay or Ponds commercial, but when I was a kid I had inferiority complex because of my dark complexion. I'd cry from teases I get from classmates, friends, (even my own brother!) like "anak ni Ben Tisoy, aeta, and negrita". Eventually I learned to love my color (inggit kaya satin ang mga fahreners), appreciate it's benefits (you're less likely to get skin cancer) and believe that beauty is truly skin deep. Borrowing a quote from my beloved sis in law, "maputi nga kili-kili, masama naman ugali" and "ang derma kaya paputiin ang maitim, pero ang masamang ugali, mahirap gamutin". Hehe!
L-R: Me during my pre-school "awkward and negneg" years, high school, college, a blushing bride four years ago, a mom at present

3) I can manage and be independent – Before, well up until now to a certain extent nalang, I am very dependent on my parents for anything (little miss helpless). Never did I imagine I would be able to manage a family/household, a full time career, and hopefully a blogging career all at the same time. Just check out my everyday sched here. I guess when you become a wife and mom, lumalabas nalang ang multi-tasking skills. But I admit, I can only do this with some help and delegation, also accepting I'm no super woman.

4) I can soar, see the world - Yes there's a whole new world out there we have to explore. Don't let poverty hinder your dreams, instead allow it to be a motivation. As I've written here, envision those dreams, pray and work hard.

5) I am smart – I've learned that excelling in academics will get you a few steps ahead initially but it’s really EQ (how you handle emotions and getting along with people from all walks of life), street smarts and hardwork that makes you soar. Use your head wisely in making big decisions since that creates the path to your future.

6) I am capable of loving and being loved - I have friends who withstood the test of time and accepted me for who I am. I have a wonderful family who will always be there to support me no matter what. I have a loving and super patient husband who puts up with me every single day. I have two adorable kids. Up to now I don't know what I did to deserve these people in my life. I must have done something right after all. Through them I learned about loving unselfishly and unconditionally. I also learned that to be capable of loving, one must love oneself first.

Lastly, I have a beautiful life. I hope this post doesn't come out as bragging. It's just that I'm not ashamed to be thankful of this life that God has given me. I have learned to appreciate its ups and downs. I also expect as much trials as there are, more blessings will come my way. God is indeed good.


Image from here

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...