Saturday, August 31, 2013

What I learned from two breastfeeding experiences

Before August (which is Breastfeeding Month) ends, I would like to share my two breastfeeding experiences. Breastfeeding is something close to my heart since I've seen the benefits with my first child (even if she was only mixed fed - you'll know why in my story below) and now with my second. When I breastfeed, I could feel how much my babies need me and that I alone could give them all the love and nourishment that nothing and no one else can.

R's story

First of all, when I was pregnant with R, I vowed to try breastfeeding as it seemed practical (siyempre tipid) and I've heard a lot of benefits. Although I haven't researched much about it, I thought it would just come naturally and easily. But I guess I was wrong.

I haven't written about R's birth story yet (hopefully ASAP since it will be her 3rd birthday tomorrow). Anyway to cut the story short, she had to be kept in the NICU for the first five days and another 5 days in the level 2 Nursery since she contracted Neonatal Pneumonia. We couldn't latch because she was intubated (tube connected to a respirator was placed in her mouth and respiratory tract). I didn't have much breast stimulation except for my pump. Good thing it was enough for my breasts to be engorged on the third day. Unfortunately drops of thick colostrum just stuck to the pump so R was not able to get that. Milk flowed on the fourth day and what I pumped, I gave the nurses in the NICU. My breastmilk was passed through a tube to her navel. Unfortunately, when the tubes where taken out (I was already discharged then and just visited R daily), the hospital started on bottle feeding her my breastmilk. I was so disappointed. R thus developed nipple confusion. And because I wasn’t directly breastfeeding, I felt I didn’t produce enough milk. My maximum milk pumped per session (2-3 hours) was 2oz. That’s why we resulted to mixed feeding (alternating breastmilk and formula).


However, on October 13, 2010, I had a very wonderful experience. I tried to latch her again and she was able to feed from me directly without any trouble at all.


But, with the lack of knowledge and research, I still wasn't able to exclusively feed her. The most was a 60% BM and 40% formula ratio. Then starting 6 months, she again had nipple confusion and I exclusively pumped since then up until she was 1 year and 2 weeks old. Nevertheless my daughter was very healthy. She never had diarrhea, nor high grade fevers, and colds/cough would last 3 days max.

JD's story

Before I gave birth to JD, I really vowed that this time around I will exclusively breastfeed him. I told Daddy A to support me by not buying any formula, even if there comes a time I would beg him to (probably from sore nipples or lack of sleep). This time I researched a lot. I also prayed to God and Mama Mary for a successful breastfeeding this time around.

Thankfully, JD came out healthy (pending post too on his birth story). He was also roomed in that night. My nipples were sore from all the latching. But I tried to endure it and with the help of the nurses, we were able to correct his latch. Though admittedly there was a time I doubted myself and almost asked for formula. By the third day, my breasts were engorged and I already had colostrum which JD was able to have. Milk also flowed starting the fourth day. Being well-informed this time around and with our hospital being stricter now in terms of their breastfeeding policy contributed to my exclusive breastfeeding with JD. As of the moment, at 2 months and a half, JD is still exclusively breastfed.


Here are my key learnings:

1) It will be a painful start - Talagang masakit sa umpisa. You will battle with engorged breasts and sore/cracked nipples. But the only way to overcome them is to go through it all. No way out of that but to breastfeed and breastfeed continuously. For engorged breasts - use hot compress (can be a hot towel); for sore/cracked nipples - lanolin cream (I used Pigeon since it's much cheaper than Avent). Baby's latch should also be corrected - his mouth should be covering your areola, nose is not obstructed, his chin rests on your breasts and you could see his jaw working that suckling motion.

2) Size does not matter - Funny story, I was buying nursing bras sa mall and asked for new stocks from the sales lady, sabi ba naman "Maam nursing bra po ito" (at parang gusto ako ituro sa pre-teens section for beginner's bras). Sinabi ko nalang "oo alam ko, bagong panganak ako, nagpapasuso ako". It's true you can breastfeed kahit from negative A pa ang cupsize mo, o kahit ang tingin ng iba pantal lang yan. Ang masaya, when you breastfeed, para kang nagpa Belo! You can go 2 cup sizes higher.

3) Akala mo lang wala pero meron meron meron! - Same as above, some think when your boobs are small, walang makukuha si baby. Specially for the first few weeks, when baby is fussy (which is normal because they are establishing your supply), even well-meaning relatives will offer, "bigyan nalang yan ng formula, kawawa naman baka nagugutom". Be confident that he/she is getting enough. Your body is capable of producing enough milk for your baby, exactly what he/she only needs at the moment. To illustrate:



4) Bakit ako mahihiya - Most view breasts as sexual objects, when their primary duty is to nourish a human being. There will really be times you have no choice but to breastfeed in public. It's a noble duty and something to be proud of. I've even experienced expressing breastmilk (with a nursing cover naman) in the presence of my staff and other co-workers.

5) Invest in good equipment - The benefits will outweigh the costs, specially the cost of formula milk! My next post will be on my breastfeeding gear (see link here).

6) There will be a lot of challenges but they can be overcome - From wrong latch, low milk supply, thrush, rusty pipe syndrome (blood-tinged milk), no place to pump, storing breastmilk, relactating, nipple confusion etc. Get all the support you need (it's important that you seek advice only from those who have successfully breastfed) and do your research. Here are websites with a wealth of info on breastfeeding:

http://www.ameda.com/breastfeeding/the-first-12-months

http://kellymom.com/

http://workandpump.com/

http://www.chroniclesofanursingmom.com/

http://www.thealphaparent.com/search/label/Timeline%20of%20a%20Breastfed%20Baby


I hope these would be helpful to moms out there who would like to commit to a successful breastfeeding career.  

3 comments:

  1. and the Breastfeeding Pinay group in Facebook also helps a lot!
    Ive followed your blog po Ms. Lei, eversince I saw it from google while looking for a photo of a Cimilre M1. I love your Breastfeeding gear and this post too! I even bookmarked the former in my laptop hihi. Keep up the beautiful and refreshing blog xoxo Charm here ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Charm, thanks for reading! Yup agree, am also a member. Happy breastfeeding month!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...