Thursday, August 29, 2013

O Holy Night

Last night, we were awe-inspired with the celebration of the 10th Anniversary of the Diocese of Cubao. Our family was so blessed to attend this glorious occasion because Papa was to be posthumously awarded one of the Supra Montem awards for service.

The event started with a high mass presided by the Most Reverend Bishop Honesto Ongtioco at the Immaculate Conception Cathedral of Cubao. I was teary-eyed (correction: tears were flowing) during the procession palang. It's been a long time kasi since I last cried from Papa's passing in April. And everything there reminded me of him, from seeing all our parish priests, the Cathedral, the Diocese he so loved and served.

(Photos courtesy of Tito Chappy of PLDM)

Bishop Honesto Ongtioco

Bishop Soc Villegas followed by Cardinal Tagle

  Our beloved parish priests
 

The mass was so solemn, except for one incident that tested me and my mom's patience and understanding. Not to dwell on it further, all I could say is we truly are a product of my father - Bro. Rudy. We would never be disrespectful nor pick a fight specially in church. We said peace to her (a daughter of one of the awardees) during the mass despite how she disrespected my mom. She came naman to her senses by apologizing to us and we gladly accepted it. Just as Bishop Ness reiterated, the award is not to place you on a pedestal or for you to be too proud. It should instead humble you in the spirit of true servitude.

Here are some pictures of the mass:
His Eminence Cardinal Tagle


All the priests


After the mass, we were greeted by members of our parish PLDM and our Parish priest Rev. Fr. Steve Zabala. Again naluha nanaman ako with all their congratulations. These are the people, who together with Papa, served the Lord and the community.

At the reception and awarding ceremony naman:

Here's Bishop Ness giving the opening remarks:

Since I was breastfeeding JD then, Mama and bro C went up to accept the award. I also couldn't even take a picture since my hands were full.

To top the night's events, we enjoyed the company of Fr. Steve, Tito Chappy, Tito Fil and Tita Sylvia at our dining table. It was full of nonstop laughter and banter. I could tell that my daughter R also enjoyed the night too. And who wouldn't, with the beautiful music care of the choir as well as the priests. Masaya pala talaga kasama ang mga pari. Hindi lang sila puro sermon hehe. They're actually cool to hangout with.

It was really so fortunate for our family to have experienced a night like that. Thanks so much to Papa and to those who nominated him. Sayang lang it would have been happier if buong pamilya kaming nandun.

If he were alive though, I'm sure he would be too humble to say that others deserved it more. He would say he is not perfect. But with his almost 20 years of service to the church and the community, and with what we have experienced, he truly deserved it. Let me tell you now that in all those years he served the parish, hindi kami halos nakakapag out-of-town trip during long weekends and holidays (nakakatampo na nga minsan). He would only think of his service and mass duties. He would always tell us, let's celebrate the holiday as a family, in church. Kaya hayun, kahit bagong taon at nagpuputukan, sama kami kung san man siya magserve.

If only we could continue his service. But admittedly as of the moment I'm not yet ready, and I don't think I could match up to him. I used to serve as a lector in PLDM when I was still single, but being a full time mom to 2 little kids has kept me tied up. It's unfortunate that my children will grow without seeing their grandpa Rudy. But he nor his kind and humble heart will never be forgotten. I will try to impart to them the values that my father has taught and instilled in us.


I miss you Papa, bigtime! Pero I know you're smiling down upon us.

2 comments:

  1. Correction, hindi pa po archbishop si bishop honesto, bishop pa lang po sya, wala nga po syang suot na pallium, kase hindi pa po sya archbishop, ang nakakapag suot lang po ng pallium ay ang pope, cardinal, patriarchs, at archbishops, ngayon, sa cardinal tagle po na isa pong archbishop, ay hindi po sinuot ang kanyang pallium, nakakapagtaka lang po kase, under jurisdiction nya pa rin po ang diocese ng cubao, sakop pa rin po yan ng archdiocese of manila,...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by and for your comment. Updated accordingly. God bless!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...