Saturday, June 1, 2013

Happy Birthday Mama!

Posted for May 30, 2013

It’s been a while since I’ve written a post. Perhaps the pain of loss has left me uninspired, silenced and blank. But I just cannot let this chance past to pay tribute to a strong and loving woman who I owe my life to. For if there is one thing I’ve learned from our recent ordeal, it’s that you should tell the person you love how much they mean to you while you can.

It broke my heart to see my mom this morning crying while I entered their room to greet her a happy birthday. I couldn’t find the right words to cheer her up, knowing this is her first birthday without the love of her life. Not only that, she just lost her own mother, my dear lola Anita, May 24th of last year. It seems these past two birthdays have not been so happy at all.

My mom would often think of herself as weak and timid, but I believe this dragon lady is far from that. It’s high time she knows how strong she really is and how amazing she is as a wife, mom, grandmother and friend. Let me tell you some of her traits that I admire. If I were half the woman that she is, superwoman na ko.

Jack/Jill of all trades – Kung ang Papa ko ay tubero, karpintero, mekaniko roled into one, si Mama ay magaling sa kusina, sa crafts, pananahi, sa music, sa fashion at design at kung anu-ano pa. I never had to worry about school parties or prom because she makes the most beautiful dresses. Pati projects ko sa home economics puro perfect sa tulong nya. I’m so lucky to have a beautiful home which she lovingly decorated. She also knows how to play the piano, organ, guitar etc. During her younger years she was a good athlete winning tennis/pelota tournaments.

Hardworking – I’ve never seen a 60 year old woman with the energy to carry heavy bags while wading through the busy streets of Divisoria to source materials, stay up late just to finish quotations and designs and wake up early the following day. I learned to value my studies, seeing how hardworking my parents are.

Selfless – She exemplifies the saying na “isusubo nalang, ibibigay pa”. She will let us have our favorite parts of chicken, fish, meat etc. at sa kanya ung mga napagtirahan. Even when someone gives her a nice gift she will ask me pa if I like it and insist I wear/use it as well. Swerte halos same size kami sa shoes and dati sa damit.

The ultimate caregiver – Oo parang pelikula lang ni Ate Shawi. Siya ang nagalaga at nagbantay sa hospital for most of our relatives, from my lolo (maternal grandfather) and lolas (both paternal and maternal grandmothers), her sister in-law (my dad’s sister) and lately to my dad. Even if sa bangko or monobloc chair lang sya natulog, to changing adult diapers, tiniis nya ang lahat. And now, that tender loving care cascades down to her grandchildren which she patiently cares for kahit makulit at mahirap patulugin.

Lastly, I admire how she held herself during Papa’s last few days until he was buried. I could never imagine myself going through what she went through, sifting through Papa’s belongings, settling accounts and facing each day still with much energy and strength. God gave me and my brother a mom with a strong heart who holds her family together.

And so Ma, I admire you and I thank you. I will never fail to say and show I love you everyday, for each day is a gift. Happy 61st birthday! No matter how hard it was, another year is truly a blessing from God. Let’s look forward to beautiful days in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...